SailNet Community - View Single Post - Am I out of line on my boat offer?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Am I out of line on my boat offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I get the point, but as a buyer, I would not be willing to spend money on a survey, if you had the right to sell it to someone else in the meantime. If you're just saying you would keep the listing alive, I agree with that and find that is the most common practice. Call on a boat that is in survey, however, and the owner/broker should not take an offer.
It's as you say Minnewaska, I would never suggest selling a boat out from under a buyer if there is deal in place. A deal includes a signed purchase agreement (contract) with an agreed-upon price, a paid deposit (usually 10%), and a set of timelines, responsibilities, and warrants. Typically the main items would be a survey and a final sea trial that is acceptable to the purchaser, and a final full payment (to the seller).

I was actually in this situation recently with the sale of my last boat. After languishing for some time on the market, I finally received an acceptable offer. Deal signed, process underway. My ad stays up, but with "deal pending" on it. I then get two more serious buyers come forward ready to make offers. I simply told them I would contact them if the current deal fell through. Luckily I did not have to do that.