SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Isn’t “Whenever I've had new sailing friends (couples) on the boat, the Women are the better helmsmen(person). seems the gals have a better touch on the wheel, something about finesse I guess. The guys want to muscle it and drive all over creation. I'll take a gal at the wheel any day.” a little sexist statement in its own right?

Mrs. B and I jointly own all the boats we’ve bought since our nuptials. We both appear on all the paperwork. The club membership is in my name (why pay double the dues?). Mrs. B is very familiar with all the boat systems (sometimes too familiar!) She is not a string puller and helms for personal enjoyment. Yes, she hands the helm to me during sea and anchor details and when the wind pipes up, and during nighttime… But she does this for enjoyment and not to prove anything (she already has about 1,000 open ocean miles on her resume). I need you female sailnetters to write her a stern letter and make her do all the things she personally doesn’t like to do for the sake of saving me from appearing sexist.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook