SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 22 vs. Macgregor 22 (or similar sized boat)
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007

tomg847 is on a distinguished road
Question Catalina 22 vs. Macgregor 22 (or similar sized boat)

Hello,
I've been sailing an old Lido 14 (#201!) for many years, and feel that I want to move up to the next level to a larger boat that I can use for overnight trips and sail around in Puget Sound with rather than smaller lakes.
I've been researching this on the internet and looking at used boat sites and pretty much narrowed my search something around 22 feet (but not bigger) like a Macgregor 22 or Catalina 22.
I've looked at a Macgregor 24, but felt it was just a bit bigger than I wanted, and I've recently looked at a Catalina 22 which I really liked - photos here: Catalina 22

The size looks about right for what I want, and it has a trailer and motor with it also as well as the swing keel for easier launching. I plan on parking it in my backyard since I don't want to pay moorage fees. I've been in contact with the owner of a 21 foot Mac which looks very nice too, but the cabin is just a bit smaller than what I want.

Ok, this leads to my big concern. I have a 98 Ford Ranger with a 3.0 liter V6 Automatic and 2WD. Would there be much problem towing a Catalina 22 with this rig? I live only 2.2 miles from the boat launch, so it will be a short distance to tow. I'll be meeting the owner in a couple weeks to try pulling it out of the water with my truck to see how that works out. I do have a class II hitch that I installed (the bumper hitch is just too wimpy), so I'm hoping this might work out. Any advice, ideas, comments, or should I stand here and just let everyone point and laugh in my direction?

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook