SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing from Little River Inlet, SC to Morehead City, NC
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013

jslade8581 is on a distinguished road
Sailing from Little River Inlet, SC to Morehead City, NC

In about two weeks I'm planning on an overnight sail on the outside from Little River Inlet, SC to Morehead City, NC. I'm looking for a little local knowledge to make sure I've covered my bases.

I'm planning on making it relatively direct, and using the Frying Pan Shoals Slue. I'm planning on leaving the inlet about 8 am (ebb-to-slack, low tide approx +1 ft), so I ought to pass by the buoys marking the Slue around 4 pm (~35 NM), and ought to be clear of the Frying Pan Shoals about an hour after that (~5 NM).

Are there any special wind conditions I should be paying attention to (initially, I want to avoid a northerly or north-easterly wind, and would really prefer a southerly to north-westerly wind)? Anything special I'm not considering?

The boat has a draft of 6" with the board down, and about 3.5" with it up (I've heard that the Little River Inlet is well marked - is that correct?).

And of course, before anyone asks, the bailout plan is to use the ICW if the weather looks nasty. The outside trip is preferred because of the time savings, and the fact that I'd actually be sailing vice motoring!

Thanks!

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the sea."
- Isak Dinesen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook