SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Re: Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
Hi Andy, thanks for your reply. I don't have even a minute of experience on any boat larger than a canoe. Can't sail, but figured I could learn this summer. I was going to take ASA 101-104 lessons this summer, then get a boat this fall. If I can't do it on such a big boat, then its probably better to get a used starter boat and live in an apartment near the water. Or move up north with my friends and family and get some company on weekend trips. Just trying to look at what's realistic vs fantasy at this stage.

Thanks !!
There are lots of good people with lots of experience on this site that will be happy to share their knowledge.....and so will I!

It would be good to get some experience before plunking down the cash for a brand new boat, in my opinion.....the ASA courses are a great way to get the boat handling experience and chartering is a way to get a look at some different boats, but you could wind up owning a boat that isn't really suited to what you want to do with it if you don't take some time to learn about the amazing variety of boats that are available out there.

Another great way to get experience on a range of boats is to join a sailing club and volunteer as crew for races or as deck help on weekend daysails -whatever it takes to get out on the water!

Any way you go, best of luck in your adventures.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook