SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013

BCC1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Yes you can 41' is not that big and within a short period of time you will be wondering what you were worried about, in fact you may wish you had gone a bit bigger. If you stick with a sloop then 45' is about max to be able to move sails on and off the boat as they do get heavy with size. If you go bigger get a ketch, this would also mean you are a recluse and don't plan on having contact with others of you species . Getting sail on and off the boat is not an every day occurrence and you should be able to get help with that at the time. You will need an auto pilot and that it. Bow thruster, well I would love to have one but as I don't, I do without. The other thing is things happen slower on bigger boats. Get the boat you like and can afford and enjoy,
I agree.

First boat was a 38, second a 47, third a 41. All new.

The selling yard will give you an orientation. Hire a delivery Captain to help/ teach you on the trip to your marina,

Get a bow thruster. Autopilot. Put fenders or rubber trim on your dock (preferably floating dock).

I had no sailing experience when I bought my 38. IMO, a bigger boat is easier to learn on because it is more forgiving in wind gusts and to beginner trimming mistakes.

I singlehanded the 47 footer all the time. With the bow thruster docking was much easier than the 38 without. The 41 with thruster is easy.

Have fun. A 41 is a great size for a livaboard and new Hunters are great coastal cruisers. Mine have been Catalina and Beneteau, but the 3 brands are similar.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook