SailNet Community - View Single Post - Oops!!!
Thread: Oops!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Oops!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlyme View Post
Just wanted to shed some light on what ACTUALLY happened and clarify ALL of your wrong assumptions.

All proper steps and procedures had been followed by the operator at the time of the accident. Nobody was rushing, cutting corners or doing anything dangerous or out of the ordinary. Safety has and always is number 1. There was mechanical failure beyond the operators control causing the machine to veer off its proper path during a routine launch. Nobody was hurt. The 50 + ft powerboat being launched was already floating at the time of the accident. It was easily moved free of the lifting area and taken to a neighbouring marina to be lifted for assessment, where only minor cosmetic damage was found. The lift spent the night in that position and was lifted by two large cranes today. There is no twist in its frame. It is designed with an articulating coupling/bushing to minimize damage in case of such an event. It will be thoroughly examined by a rep from its producer and several other companies that do routine evaluations and inspections. I feel the comment about the operator being a hot dog is unfair and unjustified. Probably stated by someone that has no experience or clue about machinery operation. But everybody has an opinion right? Furthermore, accidents happen. Thousands of accident free lifts occur annually at Canoe Cove. I'm sure that the pleasant experiences far outweigh the bad ones. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Hope it answers all your questions.
Good to know. I assume from your wording that you are connected with Canoe Cove in some way?

Glad to hear the lift is not as badly damaged as it appears in the pic. This would be the worst possible time of year for the yard to have the hoist down for an extended period.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook