SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to Proceed...
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: How to Proceed...

I vry much appreciate the thought out responses here, they are invaluable. I will take heed of the warnng regarding leaving St. Augastine at night and push it to first light.
The problem with the ICW is I have never looked at anything regarding it or sailing it. I would have to plan a whole new passage and get all the charts and navigation aids. The problem here is I AM sort of bare bonesing it in that when I leave, that is it. I have $2500 and a sailboat in really good shape with tons of spares. I have two degrees ( AA and BS) and the world. I have to make sure I make landfall somewhere to make money before I spend too much f it on alternate charts, tiller pilots, ect.
I still need an outboard for my dinghy and I am not sure how the instllation of a tiller pilot would work (would require haul-out) at this point I do not want to put any more big money into the boa until I find my next source of income because right now its all going to be red.
I did just youtube tiller pilots... I will check more today on the installation but the price is not bad actually... If I can install without a haulout or lots of expensive mounts I will do it before I leave, thanks for the recommendation. If I do not get it in before I go I am 25 and a bit of an insomniac anyway.. Of course I would have MRE's ready before I left s I could quickly (2-3 minutes) leave the iller with what I have and prepare them quickly. Usually when I do solo sail I set the tiller lock in conjunction with the sail trim and just sit back there beside it and read. Works well unless the wind pick up too much.
The ICW sounds peaceful... I actually want to do offshore thouh, nervous tho I will be. I have good charts and have my GPS figured out (so far). I can always VHF locally on approach for latest advice on conditions and procedures.
Of course I use a Hawaiian sling, otherwise where would the sport be?
Lastly thanks again to al the responders here. I know behind all of your "asking for disaster," comments are really just worried parents and sailors trying to look out for another. Its nice to have that sort of thing especially online such as this.

Last edited by Harborless; 05-08-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook