SailNet Community - View Single Post - Canadian sailing + heating ?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013

sailor1924 is on a distinguished road
Re: Canadian sailing + heating ?

On my last boat I used a drip feed diesel heater. I mounted it in a locker, to transfer heat to the rest of the boat I made a copper coil that I inserted into the fire box. I plumbed the rest of the boat with fin tube radiators under the cabin sole. I added an expansion tank in the forward cabin and used a small aquarium pump to aid circulation of water and a small muffin fan to the combustion air intake to induce draft. The "pot" needed to be preheated to start vaporizing the diesel fuel, once hot and running this was extremely efficient and burned with a blue/white flame. This system kept the entire boat ( a 60' English ketch) at about 65 degrees in minus 0 temperatures in New York winters.
I'm a strong advocate of comfort depending on warm feet. I later added an insulation enclosure with a large air space to the exhaust flue pipe and used another muffin fan to circulate the air around the flue. This rig kept the boat at 70 degrees no matter how cold the weather. Unfortunately at first, I put the muffin fan on the discharge side of the flue enclosure and melted it. I almost set fire to the overhead as the heat was over 400 degrees at the flue.
The fuel consumption was about 1.5 pints per 24 hours. The electric consumption was extremely low as once draft and water circulation was established you could turn off the power to those devices.

Last edited by sailor1924; 05-08-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook