SailNet Community - View Single Post - Remove your masking tape!
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Remove your masking tape!

denise, 3M are very up front about this.

Plain "beige" masking tape is pretty much designed to go on today, come off tomorrow. And the stuff in the sale bin is often old and gummy before your start.

Then they make blue tape and green tape, the blue tape can go longer and leave a finer line than the beige, the green tape is more flexible, and "Frog" targeted that green tape market. Offhand I think both are rated for one week by 3M.

But then 3M also makes a silver masking tape. Damned expensive but rated for a month in the sun--and I can tell you it does work. We masked a deck on one weekend, it rained on the next, the paint went down on the third, but we couldn't get back to strip the tape until the fourth. And it peeled like it had just been laid down.

The Frog folks claim they use a special additive which "clots" when the moisture from latex wall paint hits it, to leave a very clean sharp line. On a boat, that shouldn't matter.

I know 3M aren't the only good brand in the business, but when it comes to adhesives and the like, I know I can trust their product and their 800# will get me fast answers to any question about any product they make.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook