SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?

Be fore warned!!! I'm gonna be a grumpy old man like Bob my hero.
1.Motor boats s-ck. Wife was a motorboat liveaboard all her summers as a kid and I did short hop transports on Grand Banks. Noisy,stinky and bouncy even at anchor. With cost of fuel count your pennies if you want to go anywhere. Come on folks this is a sailing forum.
2. Big boats are easier to sail. Hard to really screw up and put in irons and they still go forward pretty good even if badly out of trim. General speaking if you keep all the telltales going aft you go forward. Can learn balance, twist, chord,draft,sag,,slot dynamics later.
3. big boats are harder to dock,moor,maintain and are bigger holes in the ocean for your kitty.
4. Admiral is small ( 4'10") - I got lousy wheels and a gut. Cruising,voyaging and keeping life together while living on a boat is not about strength. It's about temperment and knowledge. Our new boat has bowthrusher and all powered winches.However, never get a boat so big you can't sail it when it all breaks ('cause it will). That seems major reason see alot in the 40-50' range. Still possible to raise strike and reef without powered aid. Remember even if you are testosterone crazed when sailing it's usually more important to be able to get it down then get it up.

In the same line of thinking even if you have fancy heat and AC never get a boat where the natural airflow won't keep you cool and the boat ventilated or can't be buttoned up to keep you warm. Never get a boat where your next drink of life giving water is dependent on a machine working. Never put yourself in a position where getting to your next harbor is dependant on another machine working.

Sorry about that but I feel better now. Thanks for your understanding and kindness.

Last edited by outbound; 05-08-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook