SailNet Community - View Single Post - Westerbeke 12B Two Coolant Flush/Replacement
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013

liquidus is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke 12B Two Coolant Flush/Replacement

I also have a Westerbeke 12B-Two and am about to do a flush for the first time... I would love to hear some pointers from anyone with experience with this engine.

W, Since it sounds like you may be a bit newer to this engine than me you might like to know that it is actually a "marinized" version of a Mitsubishi K2AS Diesel Tractor engine. If you look up the manual for the K2AS you will see that Westerbeke copied some of the pages right out of the original Mitsubishi manual. This is useful knowledge because it can help you find cross-referenced parts for the diesel tractor engine at a fraction of the cost that Westerbeke sells them.

Things like the raw-water heat exchanger, water cooled exhaust, and the extra pulleys to run the raw water pump are the marinized parts that Westerbeke added.

Here's my list of commonly replaced parts with cross-references to commonly available parts. If anyone else has anything to add to this list please share the knowledge!

Engine Oil: 10W30 Marine grade, Diesel Grade, 3.3 quarts

Oil FIlter: Napa Gold 1334 or FRAM - PH3593A or similar cross reference

Westerbeke Water Pump: 46120
Westerbeke Replacement Impeller: 46622 (OEM kit) , Globe 1112 (aftermarket run-dry impeller avail from Defender)
Also found a reference to a "volvo-penta-3586501-R13" fitting the 12B-Two raw water pump

Replacement Alternator: Advance Auto Parts Part No. 186-0486 which is an alternator for a 1983 "Mitsubishi Cordia" Cost $65 compared to $400+ from Westerbeke

Hope this helps!

PJ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook