SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Sorry I have been away awhile, I moved my boat back down to Port Ludlow and have been spending time getting things straight. Moving back here reinforced my belief that grace beauty and elegance need not be sacrificed for speed and performance, example the Etchel fleet that sails out of here and an old meter boat that is just downright sexy. I will give modern boat designers (I do not use the term yacht because to me that implies among other things a grace and beauty above that of the common boat) the benefit, of the doubt and just assume esthetics were just not a part of the "equation", though an attempt to manipulate handicapping "numbers" has removed any shred of past beauty. Followed by tweaks to make the resulting race design somewhat feasible for cruising results in something that can only be described as "something that ugly must be fast"
Back to my boat, it points very nicely and it doesn't take much to get it to hull speed. The most I can see the changes on the hull might accomplish (if a all) would be requiring less sail area to get it up to speed in light air (something that is really only important where handicapping rules are in effect). Newer does not necessarily mean better.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook