SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013

BCC1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, that's my impression, as well... Frankly, for a full-time liveaboard who desires a 'master bedroom' in a boat of that size, and for whom money is apparently no object, I'd recommend a powerboat... A Sea Ray or Sunseeker would definitely score him plenty more chicks in Miami and South Beach than a Humter, that's for certain... (grin)

I rate the current trend in newbies starting out 40-footers to be a major contributing factor to sailors motoring more while underway, and sailing less... And, for some of the appalling sail trim one so often sees out there...

Learning to sail on boats of such size, it's simply so much more difficult to appreciate the DIFFERENCE that is made by the sort of tweaking of sail controls that are such a part of sailing small boats well, and where the feedback is so much more apparent, and instantaneous...

The overwhelming majority of guys actually leaving the dock and sailing most weekends at my marina are folks on newer coastal cruisers, with comfy spacious berths, often with bow thrusters, in-mast mains, air conditioners and large wide open cockpits. The ones rarely leaving the dock....aren't.

I ain't no expert and I unfortunately didn't grow up sailing small, but I'm on my 'big' boat sailing the Bay most every weekend, April to November.

The OP does not need to get a power boat, simply because he isn't following your path. Different strokes.

Me? Hopefully I'll be out gunkholing. Or visiting a local yacht club.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook