SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013

JennyWren is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Thanks for the welcome, DRFerron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Sexism is self-perpetuating.

I read the example above of how one felt dismissed because a man was asked the same question that a women just answered. It could have been dismissive. However, the first thought that went through my mind is buddies that will continually ask me the same question, they would then ask the dog, a stranger or just talk to the piling. They often don't accept anyone's answer or just want to talk about the topic.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. If you want to see sexism, it will remain.
Quite so, but it would never have occurred to me personally to go looking for sexism, in fact the opposite. I work in a traditionally-male-dominated field, at times in the past with particularly male-oriented applications and subject matter, and have never personally encountered sexism from colleagues, so I wasn't on the lookout for it in the comparatively benign field of boat ownership.

It was just noticeable - to both of us - how often there was a different reaction to the same factual response (year of boat launch, boat builder, boat designer, stuff like that) when delivered by a female and a male.

Though hardly an issue that makes any difference to my ability to get on with life, it was a bit of a surprise.

I currently have a work colleague who *would* ask you, me, him, the dog, the piling, any passing seagull and the probably boat itself, and would not absorb a thing any of us said on an equal-opportunity basis.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook