SailNet Community - View Single Post - Encapsulated Keel?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Encapsulated Keel?

My Pearson 28-2 tends to get pushed around quite a bit in following seas (not even overly big ones, just the ~2 foot wind waves that we get in Puget Sound). If we get the right sail plan it will start surfing, which keeps it better under control (and brings up the speed). It can get quite tiring going downwind in over 20 knots of wind.

The Yankee 30 tracks a whole lot better and seems to sit in the waves rather than climbing over them in the same conditions. The ride is smoother and easier. We sailed from Eagle Harbor to Shilshole side by side a couple of months ago and it was very obvious.

I had guessed that some of this might have to do with his boat having a lot more ballast (BA/D is close to 50%, vs about 33% on my Pearson) and having the ballast lower down. The Y30 has a deep bilge with the lead hung down low. My Pearson has a thin bolt on keel with a very shallow bilge, so the weight is higher up.

I'd think that the Yankee's extra weight would hurt it in light airs, but he seems to do okay there too. There is a lot of extra sail area to make up for the extra weight, so the SA/D is about the same on both boats (a little under 17...squarely in the cruising not racing range).

I haven't looked at enough boats out of the water to really understand hull shapes very well. Is there a book that you'd recommend for someone trying to understand the basics? The boats are very obviously different there, the Yankee has a much longer keel (though still a fin) and a big skeg where my Pearson has more of a fin keel and a spade rudder.

I quite like how my boat sails in general, this is just one big difference that I noted.