SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
J 122, a favorite of mine.

I was talking on another thread about the J122, saying that I like it a lot and that was one of the boats that fit my particular needs and tastes in what regards having a personal boat...and then saw that I never had posted here about it, only a generic post about J boats.

Probably that happened because the the boat had already some years and was not a new boat when I started this thread. But the fact is that even if the boat show a very slight age in what regards hull design and transom it is still a very fast and modern performance cruiser. One of the fastest, I would say. Probably if it was designed today it would be very similar to the J111, in what regards hull shape and transom, but the difference is really a very slight thing.

The hull is still very modern, the boat is very fast (continues to win races) and the quality of the interior is very good and addapted to cruising.

The J122 is a narrow boat, if we consider the average in what regards modern production. The beam is typical of a 36ft and that has not only relevance in the interior space and storage as it make it a very good upwind boat but tricky to sail downwind fast without a full crew. It is also a boat that will sail with a considerable heel because it has less hull form stability than the typical cruiser racer and relies on a big B/D ratio for stability. Of course, for that work the boat has to heel. The B/D ratio is 38%, on a bulbed keel with 2.20m.

The boat is very light (6670kg) can carry a lot of sail for the weight (80m2), has a narrow well designed hull, it is a stiff boat so no wonder it is fast. But in bad weather the boat can sail with very little sail (and make way) and his stifness and very good reserve stability contributes to make it a very good and safe offshore boat.

Regarding storage space, if you, like me, can live with the storage space offered by a 37/38ft mass production cruiser, than the J122 has the space that you need, specially on the 2 cabin version without the front cabin head.

The boat can also offer more storage on a removable back bench (that closes the transom). I don't like it but i guess some would want that option.

On the photos you see cabinets on one side of the boat and no cabinets on the other side. You can have it like that, without cabinets in the saloon or with cabinets on both sides. The tankage is not big in what regards water (172l) but it is not a problem to add more (option). Regarding fuel the boat sails so well and with so little wind that the one the boat carries (130l) will be enough for most cruisers that will like this boat.

Regarding price it is what it is expected: Expensive but not more than similar boats (in quality and high specs) like the Luffe, X yachts, Arcona or Grand Soleil.

A great boat that I believe it will be substituted by a new model on the next 3 years or so. At that time the price of the used boats will drop substantially and it will be the best time to buy one, if you have not the means to buy a new one now

J/122- World's Most Successful Offshore 40 ft Sailboat Class

J122 Voilier - A cruising pleasure and a regatta pleasure - J Composites

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-09-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook