SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mind Your Hi-Tech Splices!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mind Your Hi-Tech Splices!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsailor View Post
Good point; I have been expressly forbidden to climb my masts as the halyards are shot and the condition of the masthead blocks is unknown. I was going to install new halyards prior to any aerial activities but just got the look.

The admiral has informed me that we will be pulling the masts as part of the refurb process.

I do like the idea of using a messenger line and storing the halyard in the mast but it won't work in my application since my halyards and blocks are external.
If one wants to replace their halyards with messengers when they aren't in use, then the messenger should be attached (sewn) to the open end of the halyard and the halyard is then lowered completely where it can be stowed in a bag at the mast keeping the messengers attached or below if you want to separate them. This works for internal or external halyards.
It makes little sense to me to attach the messenger to the shackle and simply sky the halyard leaving the splice or knot exposed to the elements.

One caution; If using a very small diameter messenger, be sure to keep it under tension throughout the entire process or else the messenger may jump the sheave and become jammed between the sheave and cheek.

Last edited by knothead; 05-09-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook