SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Dodger
Thread: New Dodger
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: New Dodger

This may not apply to you if you're planning on using an existing aluminum frame, but I've never regretted choosing a solid SS frame. Also our dodger builder put support struts on the forward bow to the storm hood.. many dodgers rely on the fabric snapped to the deck to hold the frame in place.. our frame is rigid and in place even with the canvas off. We never actually fold it down.

Zip-out or zip open front panels are essential , even here in the PNW. I do like the window covers, esp if using lexan (btw if folding over is not in the cards, lexan windows are more rigid and clearer than strataglass.. but they scratch more easily.)

Side handles, ditto... essential... and side window to open up your line of sight too.

Wasn't cheap or quick, but I think our guy did a good job. btw I wouldn't do the leather again.. it's the only part that looks crappy 6 years later.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 05-09-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook