SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any tips for removing corroded bolts at rudder?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013

kjzerr is on a distinguished road
Any tips for removing corroded bolts at rudder?

Good day everyone!

I am in need of some advice as to the best method to remove bolts that are corroded into their sleeves in a tight area. I am in the process of refinishing the topside, and I need to remove the rudder in order to do a proper job on the transom (the rudder is mounted to the transom).

There is a yoke (I'll call it that for lack of knowing its nomenclature) under the helmsman's seat to which the cables coming from the helm attach. This "yoke" is then attached to a protrusion imbedded in the rudder which passes through an opening in the transom. There are three 1/4" bolts about 2" long which connect these two pieces together. I have removed the lock nuts from each bolt, but I cannot get them to come out. Each appears corroded in its sleeve. One will turn but won't back out and the other two will not budge at all. I'm afraid to get too aggressive with them for fear of breaking them off. The location under the helmsman's seat is too confining to swing a hammer to drive them out. And, the yoke is too large to pass through the opening in the transom, so the two parts must first be disconnected to remove the rudder.

1. Any recommendations for something that would penetrate the sleeve and help dissolve the corrosion so the bolts will break free (WD-40, etc.)?
2. Any thoughts on a tool to press them out? I thought of trying to use a C-clamp as a press.

As always, any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Kermit