SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
As cynical and awful as it may sound, I don't think that the death of a crewman is enough to shake these guys from their commitment to these boats and this format. They have invested so much time and money into them that I think the only thing that will make the Oracle team abandon the boats is if they just prove to be so fragile that they can't run the races (enough of the participants run through their allotment of two boats), or if the racing community decides they're too expensive/dangerous to operate and they decline to participate in future cups.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a different cup holder (if Oracle loses) change back to monohulls or some less extreme version of a catamaran.
Racing by its nature is dangerous. Its not like AC participants are being killed regularly like the heyday of Formula 1 auto racing.

Its sad a sailor was lost, but its hardly a common occurrence and while I don't love the Cats like the mono's of old, it seems the new boats and new format are helping bring the AC back from the brink of anachronism.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook