SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Racing by its nature is dangerous. Its not like AC participants are being killed regularly like the heyday of Formula 1 auto racing.

Its sad a sailor was lost, but its hardly a common occurrence and while I don't love the Cats like the mono's of old, it seems the new boats and new format are helping bring the AC back from the brink of anachronism.
I agree in some respects. The entire sports world now rotates around danger and avoiding it. It has always been this way. Remeber ABC's "and the agony of defeat". But it should not be "and the agony of death". But these boats are pretty dangerous when they capsize. You are what 40 feet above the water if your on the upwind hull when she is flying- the drop alone is enough to kill you. You can get killed on a mono also, but still much safer- a knock down should not kill anyone, although it still could, still a lot safer.

The other thing, with these cats, what does the winner really prove to anyone? Just too many variables to make or break the race that has nothing to do with sailing.

I would rather see these guys and gals race a nice heavy duty mono in 40-50 knots with 20 foot seas, now that would be exciting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook