SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

i'm divided. On one hand, I am extremely *PISSED* that a man, a olympic champion with a family no less, is dead. The billionaires that run this show (here's looking at you Ellison) will say some platitudes, but will NEVER do the honorable thing and cancel the event in order to figure out if they are putting other people at risk. After all, their egos must be salved. What ges me most is someone will inevitably stand up and say "We all have to go, and at least he died doing something he loved"....tell that to his kids and family in a decade or so when everyone has forgotten about the 2013 America's Cup and we're onto the next billionaire ego diversion.

On the other hand, pushing the boundaries of physics and engineering is what humans do. People have died in every endeavor...flight, rocketry, etc.

Still, I'm mostly angry that the only people that are left to pick up the pieces here are this man's family...for a blatant display of ego that this Americas Cup has become. The race is a joke...and I'm honestly not going to tune it. This was the last straw. Its been building, starting with the fragility of the Volvo boats and what that race has become too.