SailNet Community - View Single Post - AC 72 crashes, 1 dead
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: AC 72 crashes, 1 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
[I]Preliminary reports indicate Artemis’s boat didn’t capsize because the sailors were pushing too hard or made a mistake, as was the case with Team Oracle. The problem was with the boat itself, either faulty engineering or faulty construction. The boat simply broke apart under sail, folded, then flipped.
Wow! That explains why the thing is so broken up. Can you imagine that at 40 knots with a 130 foot wing above you?? It would be terrifying and would make pitch poling look fun by comparison!
However, it could be a good thing for the AC as it puts the blame on the specific boat's construction, not the entire class.
When I first heard about the incident, I thought: "Well, at the very least, foiling will be eliminated", only to find out the boat didn't have foils! Now I'm thinking maybe a 20 or 25 knot wind threshold may be in the works. I hope not, as that's an average Summer day on the bay! However, the City is probably going to want some reassurance the Louis Vuitton and AC won't turn into a gladiator sport on the SF Bay!

Last edited by L124C; 05-10-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook