SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Re: Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?

@Networker I started sailing an Oday 22 and just recently jumped to a Hunter 33. I skipped the "middle" boats in the high 20ft range. I dumped money into my 22 and got it really nice then sold. Had I gone with bigger right off the start, I would not have to start all over making it my way as I am kind of doing now. So keep that in mind that if you don't go big enough you may outgrow sooner then you think. This is exactly what someone told me on this very forum years ago and they were right. I most certainly outgrew my 22 and fairly quick. I used to single hand that boat all the time without breaking a sweat. This Hunter here is taking some time to get used to as far as docking it. No problem taking it out the slip or sailing it single handed, it is just bringing it back into the slip. I can't just stick my leg out and stop it from moving like I was able to do with my 22. In fact just the keel on the Hunter weighs what my entire Oday 22 boat weighed! So yeah it would take some practice docking until you get comfortable with it. It is kind of like coming in to land an airplane, if you are not lined up correctly with the runway just circle around and try again. That is what I do with my Hunter and I always get her in fine on the second try. A 41DS is a lot of boat for a new sailor but if you go sailing on someone elses boat and love it and think you will want to live on the boat and spend sometime onboard, I would go with that 41 and you will be done. Remember that the bigger the vessel the more maintenance costs but hey don't sweat it. You will love all the extra space and luxury a bigger boat offers. Oh and do make sure a slip is available for it where you want. It's sometimes harder to find slips for 40+ ft boats in certain places.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook