SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fluxgate compass and the st4000 Wheel "HELP"
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 05-10-2013
Re: Fluxgate compass and the st4000 Wheel "HELP"

Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
O.K easy question?
How do I make my ST4000 and my boat compass read in the same direction?
I know, and have read how to swing them both for deviation. But the ST4000 control head when i hit auto keeps the wheel on target but it reads off? Is there a way to set it close? Thanks.

I'm guessing that by "boat compass" you mean a standard magnetic compass.

The fluxgate compass is also a magnetic compass - it has some electronic circuits that measure the magnetic filed that surrounds it.

All magnetic types of compasses is designed to "read" the magnetic field of the earth to give a direction relative to the magnetic north.

The problem is that on a boat we have several other magnetic sources that disturbs the magnetic field the compass "see".
Depending on the placement of the sensor the disturbances will change.

I don't know where your fluxgate sensor is located but it's probably not in the same place as your "boat compass", so these two compasses "experience" different magnetic fields (noise/disturbance).

Which compass that is correct is impossible to know without doing proper compass deviation checks (for every 10th degree around the circle).

I don't think you can override the courses shown by the control head, but I think you can do a manual correction on the fluxgate instead of "swinging" it.

You will never get these two compasses to show exact same course on all headings.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome