SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dry bilges
Thread: Dry bilges
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Dry bilges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I dry sailed my old boat (i.e., "moored" it on a trailer). There was an approximately 5/8" drain hole in almost the lowest part of the bilge. To keep the last little bit of rainwater from just sitting in the bilge I took a length of cotton twine and laid it so it ran through the wet area of the bilge and then out the drain hole, with about a foot or so dangling under the boat. When it rained the the water would overflow out the drain hole and the twine would get saturated. It would then act as a siphon and draw the rest of the water out.

If you have a fairly deep bit of bilge near to your problem area try some version of the above string trick and see how it works. If it doesn't work you're only out a penny's worth of string an five or ten minutes of your time.
Neat trick, may try that over the winter too. Unfortunately, the only way to route the string now would be back through the place where the water enters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook