SailNet Community - View Single Post - Schumacher XCS15 overcharging ?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Schumacher XCS15 overcharging ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlP View Post
Is that one of those fully automatic chargers that also "know" when the battery needs to be equalized? Equalization is simply charging a few volts high for a few hours...

"Fully Automatic", "Smart", "Advanced CHarging Technology" all fancy terms marketers slap on products that are often far from accurate descriptions..

A number of these Schumacher chargers are grossly cheapened Wal*Mart grade products that can very easily RUIN expensive batteries.. GEL batteries for example must not be charged at over 14.1V. I had a customer lose a very, very expensive GEL bank that was getting over 15V on the GEL setting. Seeing as NO GEL BATTERY CAN BE EQUALIZED then why have I had two Schumacher chargers handed to me by customers that chronically over charge on both the AGM, WET & GEL settings?

On one of them I had the "Wal*Mart" receipt, returned for the customer, and the replacement did exactly the same thing, destroy GEL batteries by pushing the voltage well over 15V.

Schumachers response "The charger is smart and working as it should.". BTW tech support consisted of a twenty something who had no clue what a GEL battery needs to be charged at, no clue as to how the charger actually operates, no clue that GEL batteries and most AGM's can't be equalized or how & why, if it is so smart, why it decides 15+ volts is okay on the GEL setting which should be limited to 14.1V to 14.2V max..? All they could really say is "Sir the charger is "smart" and is operating as it should."... If it was then this is NOT A "SMART" charger.....

The tech support person knew even less about batteries than he did his own product other than to read from his "cook book" and give me predetermined responses. I guess it was smart enough to open my customers wallet, drain $60.00 from it, then molest & beat to death $1500.00 worth of brand new GEL batteries from him...

I have been cautioning folks about these chargers for years. Buyer beware these are NOT "smart"....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-10-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook