SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bounty Lawsuit Filed
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Bounty Lawsuit Filed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
A key issue was whether there was any communication between owner and Master. Admiralty law, as far as I know, protects the owner from decisions made by the Captain as long as there is no communication and the owner does not participate in the decision.

The legal defense will probably be:

1) The ship wasn't perfect but was legal and adequate for what she was doing aside from heading into a hurricane.

2) Wallbridge took off without consultation before the owner could do anything to stop him and recall was fruitless. The haste with which he left works in the owner's favor here.

Phone records are going to play a big role in this case which promises to be as interesting as the Arias trial to people more interested in marine events than KY Jelly.

Normally, I would expect a settlement in the blink of an eye but I suspect that the mother wants more than money from this. A settlement would almost certainly prevent her from ever speaking about it again.
Since when do lawsuits follow Admiralty Law? Sometimes they seem to exist outside normal law in some weird gray area. Like when OJ was aquitted of murder, but still fell to a lawsuit based on what he was tried for.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook