SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any knowledge of route from FL to Mobile, A
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Any knowledge of route from FL to Mobile, A

+1 on what CD and Marc2012 said.
Appalachicola has a shallow bay and the cut closest to the city dock is tricky at best. I draw 4'8" and bumped heading out of there after sitting 3 days waiting for the north wind to shift and allow the water to come back into the bay. If the wind has a northerly component the bay will be on the skinny side.
The city docks are no longer free but they are convenient to restaurants and groceries.

As was already said, your mast height will limit you going inside between Panama City and Pensacola. You can however "duck" into Panama City to get a rest or to wait out weather as well as "duck" inside the Destin entrance to Choctawhatchee Bay. You won't clear the Destin Bridge though so will have to stay outside the bay, there is protected anchorage and dockage in Destin without join under the bridge. It is pretty easy harbor hopping from Panama City over to Mobile or if weather is good it is a beautiful sail outside within a few miles of the coast line.
Safe voyage!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook