SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Jeff, I find these comments interesting as our Bristol 45.5 has single spreaders in spite of having a very tall mast (just fits ICW) and a working displacement of around 40,000 lbs. We sort of stand out from other older cruising boats in the 43-47 foot range that we have seen that all have double spreaders. We certainly have a large, overlapping genoa, even the #2, but do have an enormous mast section. I never question Ted Hood's design ideas and in this case, as in just about everything on the boat, it works. We even point quite well with the 12' board down.
I have no doubt that my preference for a single spreader rig is a bias on my part that is based on the pragmatic and probably not supportable from a performance standpoint on the science. Like you I have a bigger boat than the one we are designing with a single-spreader rig, although my boat is a fractional rig. My mast sectin is not especially large and except for my lower shrouds, my standing rigging is lighter than double spreader the Ericson 38 at my dock.

My boat is roughly the same displacement as the design we are working on but wildly more sail area (The design currently shows an SA/D around 19 and my boat is around 22.7) I love the simplicity of tuning this rig and the ease of inspection and maintenance. (My boat below)

Synergy- Beating out of White Rocks photo SynergySailnetcruisebeatfromsternBi.jpg

Synergy Beating out of Leadingham Cove photo Hardeningup-LeadenhamCreek1fixed.jpg

Bob has expressed a strong preference for a double spreader rig.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-10-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook