SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This spectacular possibility of catastrophe is likely to bring more spectators. Consider that this could have happened when racing next to a competitor and taken them out too.

I'm not good with it.
Yeah, it seems they've finally figured a way to try to take sailing Mainstream...

There's a reason why the two races NASCAR runs each season at Talladega are right up there with Daytona in terms of 'popularity'...

As we saw yet again last weekend, this is it:

This is particularly saddening to me, as I've always thought that the best thing that could happen in America to attract the general public's interest to sailing, and the America's Cup in particular, would be to have San Francisco Bay as the venue... There's not a more spectacular, or spectator-friendly sailing venue anywhere in the world...

The most spectacular sailing conditions the Cup has ever seen, was when the Doctor came calling off Freemantle... Watching those old videos of those boats racing in 25 knots or more, 5-6 foot seas, it was some awesome stuff... Only problem was, it was so far offshore, nobody could watch it other than on TV... SF Bay certainly has the potential to match those conditions, but with the added bonus of a gigantic natural amphitheater with one of the world's most beautiful cities and harbor as a backdrop, and the ability to set turning marks literally within a stone's throw of spectators on shore... I've shot a few Big Boat Series years ago in the Bay, the visuals are absolutely spectacular, everywhere you look, no venue could be better made for television...

Call me old-fashioned, but the remarkable history of America's Cup racing speaks Tradition, to me... the switch to multihulls is disappointing, but of course perhaps that's just me...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook