SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

My traditional heart yearns for the 12-meter days of the 50s and 60s, not least because I grew up around, and worked in, a boatyard that built two of the last wood 12s, both beautiful and faster than their records (Easterner and Nefertiti).

And my heart is with one-design racing in identical boats and rigs, I never enjoyed figuring out who owed who time. I wanted to know if I was faster right then, and what place I'm in right then. So one-designs and frostbiting in small identical dinghies against the best of the summer competition who couldn't outspend poor me, was the best winter (or anytime) fun.

That said, I think the Cup has always been the "space program" of sailing, where new designs and materials get dreamed up, tried out, and eventually (some of them) become mainstream. The risks in sailing are less than in the NASA space program, but the same attitude and outlook applies--the rewards are worth the risks, or they have been so far, in space. Now we have to see if they are too, in sailing.

Final idea. If I don't like the drag-race cats and wish they'd race boats that could actually tack, then that's good reason to continue on with the cats. I'm usually too much of a traditionalist and should not be listened to regarding "progress", including here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook