SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013

kcblues57 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Well, this thread got my attention. Personally I don't think the question should be "is sailing sexist" but instead should be "why should I give a flying flip if it's sexist?" Nobody is stopping me from buying a boat and filling that hole in the water with lots of my hard-earned money, so who cares if the guy at the marina assumes my husband is the captain? Although for the record, I've never had the sense anyone at our marina sees me as anything but an equal.

When I was in high school and my friends told me the boys don't like smart girls, I graduated top of my class anyway. When my male co-worker said he'd never work for a woman, I earned the manager position anyway--and lo and behold, he actually would work for a woman! My husband is physically-challenged so I'm the deck monkey and as middle-aged and out of shape as I am, I can still wrestle everything into submission. One of the things I love about sailing is the sense of community, that we're all looking out for each other, and it doesn't matter whether that help comes from a man or a woman if it means your bow is saved from leaving a dent in the dock.

Peace & Equality.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook