SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

I would like to see the AC go back to a competition between countries and not corporations. In recent years the idea that these are national boats is nonsense. It is one rich guy's company against another's with the key question being who can afford to buy the best Kiwi talent. Also the new developments have made it far too expensive for many countries, including NZ, to compete. Would be nice to see it go back to something cheaper and more national in character, not necessarily in 12s but something that did not look like a floating billboard. What about a rule that allowed monohulls to about 15 m with a course that required lots of course changes. Anything goes in terms of hydrofoils, wingsails, etc. Hope I am sounding curmudgeonly enough. BTW, I got to sail on an AC class boat in Auckland. They have a couple there for tourists and at certain times you can race. Sweet machines and awesome to steer but a lot of work. Four coffee grinders with eight admittedly out-of-shape tourists to pull the main up.