SailNet Community - View Single Post - Whats up with my keel?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013

Chartreuse is on a distinguished road
Whats up with my keel?

HELLO everyone!
SO! I have a question about my 1969 Grampian 26' that I hope someone will be able to shed a little light on...
My keel is short, and looks like it would be a drop keel, though there is no indication from the outside, absolute bottom of the keel. And it is wide. But today, whilst inspecting in the bilge, I saw this little square bolt on the aft portion of the keel extrusion.
So my question is; do I have a drop keel boat that someone glassed shut?

I briefly talked to some people in the chat before about this (I think Dferron & Faster?((Thanks again!)), and some thought perhaps the boat could be a prototype, since it is an earlier model, being hull #27

I sailed her all last season in LI sound, and from what I can tell, she is a little tender in the heel, but stands up well..

Below are links to images of the boat from the port side, on the hard. The other is a pic of the keel bolts in the bilge. Hopefully another grampian owner, or those familiar with drop keels, will be able to identify whats up. Ive never seen or operated a boat with a drop keel, so I really dont know what Im looking at. Thanks to all for reading!

imgur: the simple image sharer

imgur: the simple image sharer

Last edited by Chartreuse; 05-10-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook