SailNet Community - View Single Post - Whats up with my keel?
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 05-10-2013 Thread Starter
Re: Whats up with my keel?

Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
This from the Grampian Owners Website link above:
"McGruer's design mandate had been for a comfortable family sailer, with six-foot headroom in the interior, and the berths for four (five if you squeeze two into the pull-out settee). She was to be strong and seaworthy, and trailerable - hence the swing-keel version. (The swing-keel has a draft of 3ft with the keel up, 6ft 6in with the keel down; fixed keel draft is 4ft 3in.)"

So, if you can figure out the approximate draft of your boat you should be able to figure out if it ever had a center board. If the draft is around 3 feet then it should have a center board; if the draft is around 4'3" then it is the fixed keel version.
Should be fairly easy to figure out.

I can tell from pictures that mine is not a 4'3" fin keel...But what about the possibility that it is the elusive shoal draft, with no CB?
The draft depth should be a good tell, and I'd say off hand that it looks closer to 3', but my uncertainty derives from the fact that I dont see any gear, cable or mechanism for a CB in the cockpit or cabin.
Of course, that too may have just been done away with. Thanks for the input Caleb!
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome