SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar mounted on Volvo Bed
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar mounted on Volvo Bed

Wow, what a topic.

Changing sail drives from one manufacturer to another isn't for the faint of heart. Especially if both money and time are issues.

First, I have to ask why you picked this particular boat if you hated Volvos? Or why you selected a boat which utilizes a sail drive? Although the sail drive engine positioning allows boat designers more flexibility when laying out a boat (yeah you get more room), I don't know one single person who has one who has anything good to say about them. The maintenance on sail drives is a killer. The specs say you have to change the oil every 100 hours which means a haul out. Same when replacing the zincs....and those boots do fail.

Now you want to toss the Volvo for a Yanmar? Look, anything can be done if you're able to spend enough money or have enough time. You have apparently have neither.

The way I see it, in the end, you're going to have to construct your own fiberglass engine bed, which of course has to be flawless as the sail drive boot covers a hole in the water.... and strong as a 3GM has amazing torque for it's size and will tear cheesy glass work apart instantaneously.

I hope that boat was a real good deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 05-11-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook