SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
Never was national, except nominally. The field America beat to win the trophy that now bears its name were all yachts owned by wealthy Brits, aristocrats and industrialists; America was built entirely with funds from a NYYC syndicate -- ie, Hamptons money.

Look at the names peppering the race: Ashbury, Barr, Morgan, the Earl of Dunraven, Vanderbuilt, Rothschild, Turner.... Every boat has to fly a flag, and tying it to a nation gins up enthusiasm, but for the most part the Cup was and is a pissing match for wealthy individuals & yacht clubs. Always using mercenaries and professionals for crew. Always trying to poach talent and ideas from other camps. It's corporate to the bone & always has been.
Yes you are right. That does not mean that I would like it would be something else and I am not talking about the boats. It would be nice if it was in fact a nations match in what regards sailing and technology. I mean only sailors from that nation, boats built and designed there by nationals. It could be promoted by an association of all nation sailing clubs with the sponsorship of rich guys that belong to the several sailing Clubs.

As it is, it is so expensive (the sponsorship don't pay it) and dependent of billionaires money that the nation that has more professional sailors, more racing boats and more sail races cannot afford to have a boat competing on the AC.

Yes, I know, I am dreaming

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook