SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar mounted on Volvo Bed
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013

Freerider is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar mounted on Volvo Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
Wow, what a topic.

Changing sail drives from one manufacturer to another isn't for the faint of heart. Especially if both money and time are issues.

First, I have to ask why you picked this particular boat if you hated Volvos? Or why you selected a boat which utilizes a sail drive? Although the sail drive engine positioning allows boat designers more flexibility when laying out a boat (yeah you get more room), I don't know one single person who has one who has anything good to say about them. The maintenance on sail drives is a killer. The specs say you have to change the oil every 100 hours which means a haul out. Same when replacing the zincs....and those boots do fail.

Now you want to toss the Volvo for a Yanmar? Look, anything can be done if you're able to spend enough money or have enough time. You have apparently have neither.

The way I see it, in the end, you're going to have to construct your own fiberglass engine bed, which of course has to be flawless as the sail drive boot covers a hole in the water.... and strong as a 3GM has amazing torque for it's size and will tear cheesy glass work apart instantaneously.

I hope that boat was a real good deal.
Oh man, what a bunch of fear mongering.

I've already owned the boat for 5 years and I'm not sure where you read I hated Volvo's.. The 1978 MD11 needs a rebuild, so it was time to find other options. I picked up a 3GM with 191hrs on it, for $3000 and now i just have to install it. No big deal, I'm just here to throw some ideas around.

I'm not here to debate the whole saildrive issue either but, Morris Yachts installs them on their new Ocean Series 48GT boats. What are they selling for new these days.....1.5 million?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook