SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just bought a boat.
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Just bought a boat.

Having the trailer and a place to store your boat over the winter is great. Having it at home is a great advantage in getting winter projects done too. I'm jealous.

No chance you can put a hitch on your current vehicle for the money? I don't think you will need much for a boat of this size, particularly if it is on a properly balanced trailer and you're not pulling it up a launch ramp. The whole lot probably weighs around 4000 lbs? A big variable is whether the trailer has its own brakes. You can usually baby a tow vehicle and take it slow, if its underpowered for the haul, its stopping that you need to worry about.

Keep tolls in mind for your trip. They won't break you, but will add up when towing a trailer. It's essentially like having two cars. I'm guessing the NYS thruway and NJ turnpike are the bigger nuts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook