SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just bought a boat.
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Just bought a boat.

I live trailerable...
Couple things... not trying to scare you...
Before you leave... Check the safety chains (mounts, clasps)...
Check lights (I know most times they never work, but sometimes you get lucky and the prior owner did their diligence).
If it has brakes make sure they don't lock (cause that is scarier than not working believe it or not, especially at this size).
Check the tires (look for dry rot... don't move the boat if it has a lot of cracks in the tires, you are going 400 miles not 400 feet).
when you hitch up, if it has a dolly, verify that you cannot remove the hitch from the ball by lifting the trailer while hitched (this should simulate force on the ball)... its a test I always do...

Since this is a NEW TO YOU trailer... for the first 10, 20, 40, 100 miles feel the bearings to check if they are getting hot (careful, don't just grab them, they could be REAL hot - if they are you need to wait for them to cool before moving out, if they are burning hot, you may want to consider replacing bearings before moving it more). If it has bearing buddies, bring a grease gun with you, and grease them before you leave, then maybe you can avoid them getting hot for this trip. Watch the wheels while you trailer, look for wobble (can you tell I've had a few bearings go?).

Check ALL LINES before you leave. Make sure the bow is tied to the trailer (downforce, not just winch strap to bow eye)... also check that the stern is tied to the trailer, both sides...

If the outboard is on the stern, please remove it. Usually on 22 footish trailerables... the motor gives a lot of counterbalance to the boat (and bouncing on the road can put WAY more force on that motor mount than it was designed for). You want 10-15% of total up weight on the ball.

Congratulations on the boat... you will have a blast! I want you to get it home safe and sound... and most importantly YOU and everyone else safe and sound. Trailer sailing is an option for those of us who cannot afford to "slip" all the time... it also allows you to TEST other waters. Give yourself LOTS of time to sail your new boat though, setup and teardown can eat into your sailing time, don't neglect it in your time to sail. IT WILL GET FASTER, but initially take your time, and consider it "part of the price to sail," for now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook