SailNet Community - View Single Post - buying advice?
Thread: buying advice?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: buying advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
There is a huge difference between a 50ft boat and a 100ft boat. A 100ft boat in your price range would probably be in such a poor state of repair that you'd be a slave to the boat for years, trying to put things right. Boat size is something personal, but something to consider is how much time you'll need to put in to keep up your boat. A 50ft boat is a lot of work to maintain. A 100ft boat is a full-time job unless you plan on having paid crew to do the work. Then there's the colossal amount of money you need to keep a 100ft boat going. If you plan on cruising with your wife and enjoying new places, perhaps a smaller boat is more practical. Do you want to spend your time in port chasing down parts, fixing, painting, polishing, washing etc. or exploring new places and sampling the local wines and food? For some, the trade off for a big boat is acceptable, for others it's not. Anyhow, just something to think about.
There have been a couple of Ocean 71's in local waters. I was drooling over one from the dock one day when I realized there wasn't a single piece of hardware on deck that would cost less than a days pay. A single turnbuckle would be $hundreds and there were nearly two dozen of them (it was a ketch). Just a toggle on one of the shrouds would have cost $100 at least - they must have been 5 Lbs of S/S each. Any of the sails would cost as much as a decent cruising boat of a sane size.

The thing was a ship, not a boat. The forces involved when the sails were loaded must have been staggering.

The move to 100' would double everything again. It would take a 7 digit expenditure every year to keep a 100' going.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook