SailNet Community - View Single Post - buying advice?
Thread: buying advice?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: buying advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
There have been a couple of Ocean 71's in local waters. I was drooling over one from the dock one day when I realized there wasn't a single piece of hardware on deck that would cost less than a days pay. A single turnbuckle would be $hundreds and there were nearly two dozen of them (it was a ketch). Just a toggle on one of the shrouds would have cost $100 at least - they must have been 5 Lbs of S/S each. Any of the sails would cost as much as a decent cruising boat of a sane size.

The thing was a ship, not a boat. The forces involved when the sails were loaded must have been staggering.

The move to 100' would double everything again. It would take a 7 digit expenditure every year to keep a 100' going.
+1 Jon! And even if the money is no problem, there is the time involved to keep up the boat (either doing the work yourself or administrating the crew and repair people). Some of the wisest words I have ever heard was from a cruiser on a 40 something boat who said that if it weren't for his wife (who wanted certain luxuries), he'd own a 28ft cruiser that he could anchor in new ports and forget about as he travelled inland. If he lost the boat on a reef he could just buy another one and keep going. The stress level when you have a huge chunk of equity tied up in your boat is terrible- you cringe with every docking ding as you get out the cheque book. There is a lot to be said for going smaller!