SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hot stuffing box...
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Hot stuffing box...

Tried to loosen the nut today and COULD NOT get the lock nut off. Then I thought that the mechanic adjusted it while it was hot. Metal contracts.....

It wasn't hard to get it hot again running it at the dock. 15 min or so at 1000rpm (500 @ the shaft) and it was warm. 5 more minutes when I checked it again and it was HOT.

I finally got the nut off after nearly blowing out a bicep (mechanic used a longer wrench than I had). I removed a ring of flax that was black and steaming. That can't be good....

Even with a ring taken out, the nut completely off and the wax being hot (and lots of it in a pile under the box) very little water is dripping. So if it won't drip much with the nut off, how's it supposed to drip enough while underway?

I put it back on with lots of slack in the nut hoping that the packing might expand a little and let more water through. I foresee motoring very very slowly this weekend...

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook