SailNet Community - View Single Post - buying advice?
Thread: buying advice?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: buying advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS'08 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice, links and help. I've got 8 boats ranging from 38-62' that I've inquired about. I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks again
I'd strongly suggest you try to get some time hard sailing time aboard a boat over 50' before seriously considering a boat of that size...

There is a HUGE exponential discrepancy between the bottom and top of your size range... 38' is not too far from the maximum size boat I, personally, would ever care to own... And, I've passed on doing a delivery of a 62-footer, simply because that is way more boat than I care to be responsible for offshore, and sailing boats that can produce forces so in excess of my own physical ability to manage simply frightens me...

Not to mention, do you really think your girlfriend would be up to handling a 62' boat by herself? Because, that's what it might come down to some day in an emergency, and chances are when conditions could be difficult... Always surprises me, how many cruising couples seem to overlook the significant risk being taken, by getting into a size of boat so far beyond the ability of either partner to handle alone...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-11-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook