SailNet Community - View Single Post - Topside makeover
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Topside makeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Great technique but you can accomplish the same thing with a hair dryer. Much safer for both you and your gelcoat. Also less chance to melt the vinyl.

Nice work. 80 gril sanding seems aggressive. Did you try finer grits first with no success?
80 grit is not too aggressive for the initial prep. Starting with anything finer is just a waste of energy and paper.

People generally have a tendency to start with far too fine a grit when prepping for paint. It's far more effective to work up from coarse to fine than to spend an excessive amount of time working with paper that is too fine for the stage you are at. I start my bottom prep with 40. Topsides I'd start with no finer than 80 and probably 60.

Orbitals leave much finer scratches that a comparable grit by hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook