SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
What I am saying is that the Carrack was a huge step back and we didn't develop a sailing vessel as well designed as the Viking longship, again, until around the 1800's. There was a gradual change from the carrack to the brig, but it took a long time. And brigs aren't exactly models of performance.

Yes, there were some, small traditional craft, like the faering, but ship development, as a whole was set back. Imagine how things might have developed differently, if the launch point, for development, had been the longship and not the carrack.

The longship has a lot of features of modern performance sailboats: the narrow entry, the wineglass cross section, the shallow draft ( of the actual hull, not the underwater foil ) at the mid section. If you cut a longship in half, it would resemble some of the new racing boats. Definitely a better platform for sailboat design growth than the carrack.

That's what I am saying.
Yes I understood what you have said but you are mixing things. Carracks were merchant ships. Till 1800 there was a continuous evolution in what regards sailing boats all around the world. You are talking about this type of boat:

The evolution was huge. All these sailingboats are from 1400 to well before 1800:

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook