SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does anyone work on the Internet while sailing?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Does anyone work on the Internet while sailing?

i think the issue is whether you have the type of job that would let you telecommute in the first place. In my industry telecommuting is not an option. I would need to develop a new skill set to allow me to work from afar. Beyond that you have to look at the access to internet and scheduling your availability. One key to cruising cheap is to spend time swinging on a hook in remote locations. If you need to have internet to support your cruising you will need to spend more time in potentially expensive marinas, greatly increasing the cost of the cruising lifestyle.

Depending on your job needs and if you need to be readily accessible online long passages and your choices of destinations will be limited. Being an artist might work. I am a photographer and would love to sail around the world taking pictures while some studios represent and sail my work. What kind of art do you create? If you could create from your boat and have a following or studios that can sell your work without you being there often you could be good to untie and go. If you are a lifesize marble scuplture you might need a bigger sailboat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook