SailNet Community - View Single Post - Could use some info!
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Could use some info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS'08 View Post
Thinks for the info. Like I said I am just starting my search. I was looking at vessels with that LOA range because after searching those were the ones within the budget. If for 2-3 people a 40-55 LOA is enough thats where I'll focus my search.
Hellosailor- I'm a steel guy. The only wood I deal with in my job is breaking apart a crate.
If you are a steel guy buy a steel boat. That is assuming you can weld. The absolute beauty of steel is that if you have a hul/deckl problem the repair will be as strong as the original and it is possible to DIY and it is relatively cheap to do.

There are quite a few around in your price bracket including a refitted 60 ft junk rigged Colvin down on the Rio Dulce with a motivated seller so negotiations might be fruitful. Pics look real good!

You are not going to win races with that rig BUT it is very easy to handle with a small crew.

A Bermuda rig on the other hand for a 60 footer will need some serious winches, more than I would tackle too up anyway and I have cruising quite a while.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook